Albert Einstein Heads to Taiwan
January 11, 2018
Einstein’s Nobel Prize, Theory of Relativity, Letters to Lovers and Vinyl Record Collection on Display at First-Ever Asia Exhibit
(January 11, 2018—Jerusalem) For the first time in history, the Albert Einstein Archives at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem (HU) will be on display in Asia. The exhibit, Albert Einstein: Life in Four Dimensions, curated by Avi Muller, will open January 12 at the National Chiang Kei-Shek Memorial Hall in Taipei, Taiwan. Scores of original Einstein memorabilia will be on display, including his 1921 Nobel Prize, handwritten pages from the Theory of Relativity, letters exchanged with Sigmund Freud, family members and lovers, and the physicist’s own vinyl record collection.
Taiwan is the first stop on the Einstein exhibit’s Asia tour. Taipei will house the collection through April 8, whereupon the exhibit will head to China and Japan.
This historical collaboration began more than two years ago when Taiwan’s Blue Dragon Art Company reached out to the Einstein Archives at Hebrew University to propose the exhibit. Since then, curators, conservationists, shippers and handlers have painstakingly worked to edit, collect, wrap and transport the 100 year old collection.
In all, 75 artifacts were shipped from Hebrew University in Jerusalem to Taipei, Taiwan. A Brinks truck, complete with a police escort and a dummy car to throw off potential thieves, delivered the collection. Forty of the more valuable artifacts hand to be hand-delivered by Dr Roni Grosz, curator of the Einstein Archives and his colleague, chief conservator Neil McManus.
“This exciting new exhibition in Taiwan further deepens Hebrew University’s ties with the people of Asia,” said HU president Professor Asher Cohen. “For years our academics have collaborated with their colleagues in the Far East, now the people of Taiwan will get to experience one of our greatest minds up close.”
For global media coverage please see links below:
- Taiwan News Channel, http://focustaiwan.tw/photos/20180111/enp0006m.aspx
- French Press Agency, https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/einsteins-love-letters-lps-set-asian-exhibits-doc-wa9yh2
- Japan, https://japantoday.com/category/national/einstein-archives-letters-to-lovers-set-for-asian-exhibits
- Singapore, https://www.bharian.com.my/dunia/asia/2018/01/374265/arkib-albert-einstein-dipamer-di-tiga-negara-asia
- Indonesia, http://global.liputan6.com/read/3223646/pameran-surat-cinta-albert-einstein-dikawal-ketat-polisi
- Germany, http://www.donaukurier.de/nachrichten/topnews/Israel-Taiwan-Wissenschaft-Museen-Einsteins-Relativitaetstheorie-auf-
- France, http://www.rfi.fr/culture/20180111-archives-einstein-acheminees-taiwan-sous-tres-haute-protection-jerusalem
- Inquirer, http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/284202/einstein-archives-letters-lovers-set-asian-exhibits/
- The Quietus, http://thequietus.com/articles/23857-albert-einstein-record-collection-to-go-on-display
- From the Grapevine: Einstein exhibit to showcase Nobel medal and postcard to mom
- The Vinyl Factory, https://thevinylfactory.com/news/albert-einstein-record-collection/
- Free District, https://freedistrict.com/17993/albert-einstein-facts-inventions-asia
- Times of Israel, https://www.timesofisrael.com/hebrew-universitys-einstein-archives-set-for-asian-exhibits/
- Jerusalem Post, http://www.jpost.com/OMG/Albert-Einstein-memorabilia-to-be-displayed-for-first-time-in-E-Asia-533498
- Israel 21C: $5 million museum and visitors center will display the personal archives of the Nobel Prize-winning physicist who helped found the Hebrew University.
- Jerusalem Online: Asia will get to see the Hebrew University’s Albert Einstein Archives for the first time tomorrow.
- Arutz Sheva: Einstein’s Nobel Prize, Theory of Relativity, and other papers held by Hebrew University to be displayed in first-ever Asia exhibit.