THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY OF JERUSALEM
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel’s first university and a symbol of the cultural rebirth of the Jewish nation in its ancestral homeland, is a multidisciplinary institution of higher learning and research.
It is a scientific centre of international repute, where thousands of young Israelis receive a university education with an accent on excellence; where advanced post-graduate study and research are of great focus; and where special programs attract a large number of overseas students to pursue degrees or earn credits for transfer.
This is a University with a three-fold function: to serve the State of Israel by training its scientific, educational and professional manpower; to serve the Jewish people by preserving and expanding the Jewish cultural, spiritual and intellectual heritage; and to serve humanity by extending the frontiers of knowledge.
Some Key Facts about the University
- enter 52Years of transferring technologies
- click here 9,325Patents
- see 2,625Inventions
- 110Spin-off companies
- 262Academic agreements with institutions in 44 countries
- 78Competitive research grants from the European Research Council
- 220Postdoctoral researchers from 26 countries
- 109University and faculty level student exchanges
- 23,500Total student body
- 5,000Masters students
- 2,200Doctoral candidates
- 3,300Overseas and pre-academic students, postdoctoral fellows etc
- 1In Israel (Times Higher Education 2016)
Awards of Excellence
- 287Israel prizes
- 96Rothschild prizes
- 42EMET prizes
- 14Wolf prizes
- 8Nobel prizes
- 1Fields medal in mathematics
- 1Canada Gairdner international award
- 1Turing award in computer science
- >100Research centres
- 3,600Research projects
- 5Affiliated hospitals
- >1/3PhD students in Israel
- 43%Israel biotechnology research
- 30%Israel academic scientific research
- 973Faculty Members
The Australian Friends of the Hebrew University, as Hebrew University’s affiliate office in Australia, is responsible for the development of an Alumni program and the growth and development of the Young Friends of the Hebrew University group. The Friends of the Hebrew University office organises and runs regular social, political and educational events.
Founded in Sydney in May 1936 by Ruby Rich (later Ruby Rich-Schalit MBE), the Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem was established for the benefit of the Hebrew University. Our aims and objectives are:
- To bring the name of the Hebrew University to the fore, raising awareness within the Jewish and general Australian community of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and its academic and research excellence.
- To raise funds and encourage bequests in support of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, both for specific projects and for the general purposes of the University.
- To provide a medium for the exchange of information and literature between Australia and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- To encourage and assist Australian students wishing to undertake study at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The Hebrew University’s influence can be seen in programs such as Melton – the Jewish adult education program, which has proved extremely popular in Sydney and Melbourne, and HIPPY (Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youngsters), the educational program designed to give children from disadvantaged backgrounds a successful start in their school lives.
Visit the Hebrew University on the Net
- 360° Tour of The Hebrew University
- Rothberg International School
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Hebrew University On-Line
- The Hebrew University’s YouTube Channel
- Magid Institute – For Continuing and Adult Education
- Orion Center – For the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Yissum – The Hebrew University’s Research & Development Company
- Hebrew University Faculties & Schools
- Mount Scopus tour by Ron Peled